CHITTAGONG, Feb 27 (UNB): At least 15 workers were injured in stampede amid scrambles for exit as an electric generator transformer exploded at a garment factory in the port city's Atur Depot area Monday evening.
Their fears were fuelled by a hangover of shock following an apparel-factory fire that killed at least 55 workers in the city four days ago.
Fire brigade sources said a generator transformer blasted "with a big bang" on the ground floor of Charulata Garments at about 6.30 pm during power outage.
"Hearing the huge explosion, the panicky workers started scrambling to get down the stairs," one firefighter said.
On receipt of information, firefighters from Agrabad rushed to the spot and rescued the injured and sent them to Chittagong Medical College Hospital. Six of the injured were released with first aid.