State Minister for Home Affairs Lutfozzaman Babar Thursday said that perpetrators of the serial bomb attacks of August 17 across the country could not be rooted out, reports BDNEWS.
Emerging from a meeting on development issues at the conference room of the Ministry, Babar said the law-enforcing agencies are working together to find out the attackers.
Law and order and its possible deterioration ahead of the next general election were discussed at the meeting.
Sources said the Home Ministry is preparing a list of criminals of the country. The list will be finalised within one week. Police and Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) will jointly conduct operations to arrest the criminals on the basis of the list.
The meeting was told that law and order had improved during the tenure of the four-party alliance government as it took several moves in this regard. People had been scared of telling the police about any incident in the past, but now they were giving information without apprehension.
But incidents of robbery, killing, riot, child repression, abduction and theft were relatively lower under the present government. During the period, a total of 751 police constables were given forced retirement on charges of inefficiency and incapability, 754 were fired on charges of negligence to duty, 6,815 were awarded harsh punishments for violating discipline and minor punishment to 68,001 for misbehaviour.
Meanwhile, 17 police inspectors were fired, 57 awarded tough punishments and 322 minor punishments.
Babar said now the police will have to take permission of superintendents of police or deputy commissioner in initiating cases as, according to him, 97 per cent of such cases are preplanned to harass rivals.
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Director General of RAB and concerned officials were present at the meeting.