Information Minister M Shamsul Islam Wednesday said the government, if necessary, will operate mobile courts to take action against the cinema halls, producers and all others involved for curbing obscenity in Bangla movies, reports UNB.
"Mobile courts like those being operated against food adulteration will be launched in the country to combat smut through the seizure of obscene films," he said while exchanging views with journalists at the Bangladesh Film Censor Board (BFCB) conference room.
The Film Censor Board arranged the meeting to project the progress of its activities. Information secretary Muhammad Mahbubur Rahman, film producers Chashi Nazrul Islam and Amjad Hossain, filmstar Babita and censor board vice chairman Abu Abdullah were present.
Replying to the journalists' queries, the minister said that a bill, The Censorship of Films (Amendment) Bill 2005, was placed before the Parliament on September 18 to make the existing film censor guidelines timely, effective and result-oriented.
If the bill is passed, punitive measures could be taken easily against the studios involved in recording the obscene pictures, he said.
The information minister added that restriction on satellite culture would also be imposed after getting the bill passed.
He said that some 70 cases have so far been filed against the Film Censor Board by the producers and directors for banning their films on charges of using obscene shots.
But the 50-year-old law is not adequate to carry on the legal battle against the vested quarters, he said.