The government has formed a Tk 300 million (30 crore) fund for providing training and microcredit for labourers, who went on self-retirement or have lost their jobs, reports BSS.
The BNP-led four-party alliance government in its four years in office has achieved a notable progress in the labour and employment sector developing skill of the labourers and creating job opportunities.
Formation of the welfare foundation announced by the Prime Minister Khaleda Zia for the labour force is progressing fast.
Besides the government took many initiatives to eradicate child labour from the country.
Official sources said the wage commission would start functioning for fixing the minimum salary for workers.
Various steps taken for the welfare of labourers showed that those would help turn them into a skilled workforce for readily available markets at home and abroad.
Training was imparted to 3,200 workers and employees in 20 trades last year. Interest free loans were also given to 6,700 labourers from banks for making them self-employed.
Technical training for workers, setting up of labour welfare centre, fixation of wage scales and formation of workers welfare fund are some epoch-making steps taken by the present government for betterment of labourers.
A huge demand for Bangladesh manpower prevails in the world labour market. As one of the major sectors for earning foreign currency, manpower export has a bright prospect.
For training of labourers, the present government under four projects has established 26 technical training centres. Now 45,000 labourers receive training in a year.
Earlier, 15,000 workers received training. After getting the training in 20 trades, 70 per cent got jobs and the rest 30 per cent engaged themselves in self-employment activities.
During the last four years, 0.2 million (two lakh) labourers were given free medical services through 29 labour welfare centres. A total of 30,000 workers received counselling on family planning and 5,000 were trained on the owner-worker relationship.